Occupational Therapy Licensing Requirements For States In Federal Region X

As with every other state, either licensure for occupational therapy can be a tedious task or as simple as pie. Depending on the laws of the land, requirements to become a licensed occupational therapist may vary from merely taking the NBCOT to having to take jurisprudence examinations to test if you know the laws for occupational therapy in a particular jurisdiction. Moreover, not all states honor licenses issued in other states; you may have to reapply for your license once there. The following summarizes the requirements for states in federal region X.


States Included in The Standard Federal Region X:

  • Alaska
  • Idaho
  • Oregon
  • Washington



The Alaska State Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Board is one of the boards that accept licensure by reciprocity or endorsement. If you are already licensed in another state, you can be licensed in Alaska too. Of course, you will need to pass the National Board Certification for Occupational Therapists (NBCOT). Temporary permits are issued for those waiting to sit the NBCOT and are valid for 120 days. An additional requirement for Alaska is the completion of a jurisprudence questionnaire regarding Alaska’s laws for OT’s.


Idaho does have provisions for licensure via reciprocity or endorsement. All you will need is a verification of licensure from the state you were licensed in. Temporary permits are also given out for those waiting for the NBCOT and are valid up until the release of the exam results or up to 6 months, whichever is earlier. It is a must that educational programs must be accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) or any accrediting agency recognized by the United States Secretary of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.


Licensure For Occupational Therapy The Oregon Occupational Therapy Licensing Board honors licenses given in other states. All you will need is a letter of verification from that state that says you are licensed in the last 5 years. A Limited permit is given for those eligible to take the NBCOT and have completed all requirements. The permit is valid up until failure of the NBCOT. Also, education must be accredited by the ACOTE or WFOT (World Federation of Occupational Therapists).


On the other hand, in Washington, there are no statutes for licensure via endorsement of reciprocity. You can only apply for a temporary license or entirely retake the state boards in Washington. If you are awaiting the next exam, the Washington Occupation Therapy Practice Board will issue you a temporary license.

Speak Your Mind