Occupational Therapy Licensing Requirements For States In Federal Region VI

NBCOT, ACOTE, AOTA, and WFOT, are these diseases? Yes, even after four years of study in occupational therapy, after all those years diving into numerous archaic medical terms, more acronyms surface as you enter your professional life. These acronyms are what will make or break you after all and knowing them is essential to your future. The NBCOT or the National Board Certification for Occupational Therapists is the nationwide exam you have to take to be license. The AOTA or the American Occupational Therapy Association is the national governing board for all occupational therapists. And the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) and the World Federation of Occupational Therapists are both accrediting agencies for occupational therapy education.


States Included in The Standard Federal Region VI:

  • Arkansas
  • Louisiana
  • New Mexico
  • Oklahoma
  • Texas



Arkansas does have provisions for licensure for reciprocity. You no longer need to take the boards again, all you will need is to reapply for a license. Temporary licenses are given to students who are due to take the NBCOT. Of course, education must be accredited by the ACOTE.



Occupational Therapy Licensing Requirements The Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners honors licenses given from other states and you may practice in Louisiana with such license. Temporary licenses are issued to those who recently graduated and are to take the NBCOT up until the release of the results of the exam.


New Mexico

The New Mexico Board of Examiners for Occupational Therapy does honor licenses given by other states but does not issue licenses via reciprocity. Temporary licenses are issued for those who will be taking the NBCOT but will be void upon failure of the exam. Education must also be accredited by the ACOTE.



If you are already licensed elsewhere, you can be licensed in Oklahoma too provided the licensure requirements in your state are equal to that of Oklahoma’s. As for temporary licenses, you have to be supervised by a licensed Oklahoman occupational therapist. The Board, the Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation, the American Medical Association, and the American Occupational Therapy Association, must also accredit the educational program.



In Texas, for you to be licensed via endorsement, you have to request for a letter from the NBCOT regarding your exam results. Temporary licenses are also issued to recent graduates for exactly only one time. Texas is also one of a few states to require an SSN to apply for a license.

Speak Your Mind