Occupational Therapy Licensing Requirements For States In Federal Region V

Requirements for being a licensed occupational therapist vary from state to state. It is important to plan ahead as to where you will be working to not be troubled by the licensing process. Inquire at your school its credentials and if it is eligible for licensure at your chosen state. The following is a list of states in the federal region V and their requirements for licensure, provisions for licensure via endorsement or reciprocity, and if they issue temporary licenses.






States Included in The Standard Federal Region V:

  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Ohio
  • Wisconsin



Illinois is a nice state as they issue licenses despite being already licensed in another state. They also allow you to have a temporary license if you have not taken the NBCOT yet, good for 6 months. Moreover, to be eligible for a license, you just need to have completed a four-year occupational therapy program.


Occupational Therapy Licensing Requirements The Indiana Occupational Therapy Committee honors licenses from other states. Temporary licenses are given to recent graduates and are valid for 180 days. Education does need to be board-approved and you must have complete supervised fieldwork.


Michigan State does accept licenses from other states. Temporary licenses though have not been issued since 1999. Accreditation is of importance here and your education must be at par with the requirements set by the AMA, AOTA, or WFOT. If English was not your primary language during your occupational therapy education, you must also score at least 550 on the TOEFL.


Applicants who are licensed in another state and whose requirements for licensure are greater than or equal to that set by the Minnesota Department of Health, Health Occupations Program may receive their license by reciprocity. Education must be accredited by the ACOTE.  In addition, for recent graduates temporary licenses are issued and are valid up until the results of the exam.


The Ohio Occupational Therapy Board does honor licenses from other states. Education must have a focus on basic human sciences, human development process, occupational tasks and activities, health-illness continuum, and occupational therapy theory and practice. Temporary permits are issued and are valid up until one fails the exam.


If you are licensed elsewhere, just submit your credentials to the Wisconsin Medical Examining Board, which must indicate your date of birth, credential number, date of issuance, and information about disciplinary actions, if any. No temporary licenses are being issued in Wisconsin and one must pass the NBCOT.

Speak Your Mind