Occupational Therapy Licensing Requirements For States In Federal Region II

It is a fact that becoming a licensed occupational therapist is no easy feat. Education, requirements, and documents have to be acquired in the course of your training. Many considerations have to be taken into account such as where you plan to practice or if you have plans on moving to a different state.

The problem is with the different states in the USA also comes different licensing boards. That means different requirements for licensing. Moreover, not all boards honor the licenses of other states. Licensure by endorsement means that the state honors you license acquired from another state. Licensure by reciprocity means that the state honors you state board exam results. Lack of either one may mean having to reapply for a license or retake a test.

States Included in The Standard Federal Region II:

  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Puerto Rico
  • The Virgin Islands

New Jersey

The New Jersey Occupational Therapy Advisory Council requires that occupational therapists pass the NBCOT to practice their profession. They also will grant you a license without need of taking the state boards if you are licensed in other states with requirements similar to that of New Jersey’s. Temporary licenses are issued but you must be eligible to take the National Board Certification for Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) within the next 3 months. The license can expire if you fail the exam and can be renewed upon the availability of the next exam date. Education must be accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), World Federation of Occupational Therapy (WFOT), or other recognized occupational therapy accrediting agencies.

New York

Occupational Therapy Licensing Requirements If you plan to become an occupational therapist in New York, you have to take your exam and license there as the New York State Education Department, Office of the Professions, Occupational Therapy Unit does not allow licensure via endorsements or reciprocity. If you are waiting to take the NBCOT, temporary licenses can be issued valid for a maximum of one year. Renewal of said license is at the discretion of the board. Moreover, your Occupational therapy degree program must have been accredited by AOTA.

Puerto Rico and The Virgin Islands

There are no licensure boards in Puerto Rico and The Virgin Islands. It is safe to say that you will need to pass the NBCOT for you to be able to practice occupational therapy. Since there are no licensing boards in these territories, you have to be licensed in other states.

Speak Your Mind